Thank you to everyone who requested this recipe! I’d be lying if I said I had completely made it up as I take lots of inspiration from Annabel Karmel but this is a twist of one of her popular recipes.
I will be honest, I can’t stand recipes that are very exact e.g. 40g of this, 60.3372g of that! I really don’t have the time to measure out every single ingredient and I’m sure I speak on behalf of most parents when I say that.
I usually prepare Isla’s meals for the week ahead on a Sunday morning when she goes down for her nap. She sleeps for anything between 1/1.5hr and during that time I challenge myself to get washed, dressed, eat my breakfast and make a batch of meals for the forthcoming week.
Because time is limited, I’ve decided to do away with the exact measurements and use the below instead. It takes me around 25 minutes –
- Splash of olive oil
- Small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sized chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 1 medium sized carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 Apple, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 200ml unsalted chicken stock – I use Kallo organic low salt chicken stock cubes
- Handful of frozen peas
- Handful of broccoli
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion until soft
- Add the chicken breast and cook until the chicken is sealed – this should take 3/4 minutes
- Add the carrot, sweet potato, broccoli and apple. Pour over the stock, bring to the boil and allow to simmer, covered for approx 12 minutes
- Add the peas and continue to cook for 3/4 minutes
- Remove from the heat and purée in the blender to your desired consistency
Depending on how your baby likes their food you may not want to add all the cooking juices as I’ve done this before and it’s turned a good sturdy purée into wet slop. Fabulous!
This meal is suitable for freezing and makes around 4/5 portions – belly size dependant of course!
If your baby has a sweet tooth this will be a great option for them as the apple adds a natural sweetness that they will enjoy.
I hope you find this useful!
Lots of love